Thursday, December 27, 2012

Days 429 - 433: Angkor Bodhi Tree Retreat and Meditation Center

I had planned to do a meditation retreat for a few weeks at some point during my trip in Asia. Now that I could see that my trip might be ending soon, I was in a difficult position: I still wanted to do a retreat, but also wanted to be online and working for at least some of the time. Retreats in monasteries typically have strict rules - no electronic equipment, no contact to the outside world, no reading, etc. - which I didn't want to put up with at this point. So I was really happy when I found the Angkor Bodhi Tree Retreat and Meditation Center, which seemed to be more of a regular guesthouse with the added benefit of meditation, yoga, and stretching.

The daily schedule turned out to suit me very well: mornings start with stretching at 6:30, followed by some meditation and breakfast. The main part of the day is free, and in the evening there is yoga, followed by dinner and either stretching or meditation. The early start into the day calls for an early night, of course, and so I've been in bed around 10pm on most days.

I am especially happy about the stretching classes. The classes are led by a former personal trainer who really knows his stuff, and even in the short period of time that I've been here I feel I've made progress and learned a lot about stretching. The yoga classes are excellent as well - putting my muscles to work once again is absolutely lovely. To top it off, the vegetarian food they serve for breakfast and dinner is delicious. All in all, I am really enjoying my time here and have already extended my stay until after new year's.