Wednesday, December 22, 2010

German Christmas Market

To my great surprise, I discovered that there is a German Christmas market in Osaka. Apparently, it is famous and very well-liked among the Japanese living here.

So, of course, I went there (twice, actually) to check it out. I found that parts of it really are a lot like the Christmas markets in Germany. There are many small, decorated stalls (they even have a gingerbread house). They sell Glühwein (yes, the real stuff, imported all the way from Germany :-)) and Bratwurst and Christmas decorations.

The Glühwein here is ridiculously expensive: 900 Yen a glass (but you do get to keep the glass)
 

And then, there are parts that are added to adapt it to the Japanese audience. For example, there are photo spots where you can have your picture taken with Santa Claus, or wearing various Christmas-related hats. The first time I went, there were people queuing up for these souvenir photos!



The Christmas tree is also clearly Japanese. It is huge (not a real tree, I guess), and the illuminations constantly blink and change color, as you can see on the two pictures below.